AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good places to find a replacement cat 3406C ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 1/29/2015 10:01 (#4346904 - in reply to #4346789)
Subject: RE: Good places to find a replacement cat 3406C ?

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

No one in your area.

Around here, I happen to know the Omaha, NE CAT truck shop foreman.(just talked to him about 2 months ago, at a funeral)

Any CAT dealer(with active truck shop) will have the expensive tool(I heard $3000) and know how to use it, properly and should know how to "build the chart" = You have to do this for each engine, by using CAT's specs, for that certain engine. Now, I heard, that years ago, CAT forced TEPS dealers (KW, PETE, IHC, FRTLNR, etc) that wanted to do warranty work and sell parts for CAT, that they were required to buy this equipment/tooling also. {I'm just not sure how many guys/mechanics got trained on it, AND are still there working at those dealerships}

Now, some advantages are done just by advance the "Static" pin-time. Lots of people/mechanics will know how to do that, and really doesn't need any special tooling. {Setting timing about 1/2 a hole Advanced (in flywheel housing hole, will get you around 1.5 to 2 degrees advance(Normal is a 3/8" NC bolt with thread into the flywheel hole, thru "rear cover housing pin timing hole" = 1/4" NPT plug = That means the two holes are perfectly lined up, between flywheel and Flywheel Housing, WHILE timing pin, is in the fuel injection pump, "timing hole" = Normal factory pin-time)

Don't get worked up about thinking you are going to see BIG improvements, by altering timing = lots of this was do to help improve/lesson the "white startup smoke" and hopefully slightly improve fuel economy, too. (White startup smoke was somewhat of a bigger complaint, of these "8PN" engine, it would smoke up a neighborhood, that the truck driver lived in; and neighbors complained, too; UNTIL engine warmed up, then the white smoke would die down)

Here's the only photo(from internet), of part of that expensive CAT dynamic timing indicator tool, I spoke of  and  a little drawing of a timing indicator chart, that I made because I couldn't find an actual one, on the internet; searching on Google Images.

(Cat dynamic timing indicator tool.png)

(CAT dynamic timing curve_in paint program.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cat dynamic timing indicator tool.png (3KB - 488 downloads)
Attachments CAT dynamic timing curve_in paint program.jpg (31KB - 397 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)