AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

iphone as a hotspot internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/25/2014 09:21 (#4263942 - in reply to #4261427)
Subject: My new iPhone was a hotspot

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
For Christmas I decided to buy the GF an iPad and get an iPhone 6 for myself. At first I was going to go the non-cellular route on the iPad but got talked out of it. My plan was to use the iPhone as a hotspot when not near Wi-Fi. Several folks mentioned that although this works there are some disadvantages such as an interruption to phone calls etc. So I bought an iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi + cellular. A concern was navigation while travelling. This may or may not have been a valid concern.

I got the iPad right away but had to wait for the iPhone which did show up last night around 6 pm. The new iPhone was ready to use and I played with it a bit. It had its own number which I will get changed next week to my old cell number when I decommission the old phone.

I called the new iPhone from my old cell phone, it rang and I carried on a conversation with myself by switching between the two phones just to prove to myself that the new phone worked.

My new phone did become a "hotspot" for a bit but not in the sense that you are referring. I had left the new iPhone in the kitchen and had gone to another room. I heard the new phone ring which surprised me as no one should know that number. By the time I got to the phone I had missed the call. I tried returning the call supposing it was some type of welcome and good greetings type of call but the line was busy.

I noticed that a voice mail had been left so I played it back expecting some nice warm greeting. Such was not the case. The message was apparently from a distraught person leaving a stinging message. I'm guessing the message was for her son. The message was full of lots of cussing and references to the party that had apparently swindled her out of thousands of dollars. The woman went on and on and threatened the intended receiver with litigation etc. She finally closed with "Merry Christmas" which she obviously didn't mean.

I'm not sure as to why her message ended up on my phone. She possibly inadvertently called this new number or possibly my "new" number was an old number from the party she wished to vent upon. Another part that is strange is that the new phone allows me to record a greeting which a caller hears prior to leaving their message. I had activated that feature and my message clearly identifies me in my own voice by name. The caller would have heard this and should have been alerted to the fact that she wasn't reaching the person she intended. Possibly she was so distraught that she had to vent to someone or something. Hopefully voice mails from now on will be more friendly.

Out of curiosity, I did a reverse number lookup. The number was for a residence in a suburb of the Twin Cities and the street address, etc was listed.

Edited by tedbear 12/25/2014 09:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)