AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Those with cover crop experience
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mulie
Posted 12/16/2014 12:10 (#4244143)
Subject: Those with cover crop experience

Northwest Ohio
So i'm on my second year of trying groundhog radishes and crimson clover and this past year is my first planting cereal rye and i have a few questions. I have been using my 750 drill and have only had so so stands but my questions are about using hi-boys for seeding. If I understand everything right the seed is blown out of tubes onto a diffuser which I assume is to "fan out the seed" for an even stand? what kind of air pressure is behind this? When seeding into say standing soybeans i assume the drop tubes are ran over the top of the crop? If so how good is the germination seems like with air behind it the seed would be fanned out and then only have a couple feet to fall where as with a airplane i assume it gains some velocity falling to the ground. I can see if there wasn't a diffuser it would get into the ground adequitly but then there would be rows so I understand the diffuser just not sure how good stands really are out of a system like this? What have you seen and your experiences I am very interested in continuing using cover crops and no-till and am just trying to get everything figured out.

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)