AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scour problem from below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dlerwick
Posted 4/23/2008 10:41 (#363711 - in reply to #363494)
Subject: Re: Scour problem from below

Western Nebraska
I will second what the other poster said. It sounds like milk scours to me and most of the time this isn't serious enough to warrant treatment. It usually goes away and the calves most often don't appear to be too bothered by it. If you have some that are actually getting sick by all means, treat them, but if you just see some white behinds and other wise they are looking and acting fine save your money.

My Baytril comment was sort of a wink and a nudge. Baytril is in the same family of meds that Cipro is. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic and a very effective one at that. I was at a seminar put on by a local drug rep and they indicated that the reason it was only labeled for respiratory was because it was so closely related to Cipro the FDA didn't want to see resistance creeping up in its widespread usage. That is why I mentioned that your calves must have had a respiratory problem. The drug rep said to be "sure" that every calf you give it to has respiratory problems and then you are under label. If it just so happens to knock that scours problem that you had, well that is all the better isn't it? It is expensive enough that I can't really see people just using it as a therapeutic drug.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)