AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any remady for dogs dry skin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

denice.r
Posted 11/23/2014 07:07 (#4195424 - in reply to #4194460)
Subject: RE: Any remady for dogs dry skin

south east Indiana
I am not sure about the heat lamp in the dog house. I would say she needs a place to get away from the heat but still be in the dog house where it is dry. I use straw in the houses for the dogs so they can snuggle down in if they want to. I change the straw if it gets wet but it is usually dry on the top few inches. Any blankets, towels, shaving hold to much moisture.
Better dog food will help. It will help the coat and skin and she will not have so much passing through and big piles in the yard. Diamond Naturals is pretty good with out being super pricey. Get the Naturals type, they have several. It is 30 bucks for 40 lbs, can get at tract supply and many local farm stores. Adding fish oil does help, for a 50 + lb dog two capsules just on the food usually they will eat right with the dog food. Find at Wal mart same stuff people take. The added benifit is that it is anti inflammatory also so helps the older dogs some too. Coconut oil can be found at the grocery store with the crico and other oils. It is solid, a tabelspoon on the food is super good for them also. Might have to adjust if stools are loose.
My Pyrenees get Diamond Naturals are outside 24x7 and do well. Brushing will help bring up oils from her skin as well. Many dogs have dry skin in the winter due to heat in the house. Might try a heated dog bed if you think she needs the added heat. They have several in the Jeffers catalog.

The vet will have several options; shampoos, sprays, and pills. Honestly none of those I have found very helpful. Unless she has a staph infection and needs antibiotics or severe problems going with a better dog food and supplement is going to be cheeper and work better long term.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)