AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

not too many left farming at this age
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 10/25/2014 14:51 (#4144496 - in reply to #4143677)
Subject: A story abut "Doc"-------

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

A story abut "Doc"-------

Doc was a longtime client of mine.

Doc was of the world war II era.

When Doc was a young fella, he was known to clean out more than his share of bars, and, if the truth were told, he probably instigated more than half the brawls.

Doc farmed.......with his passion being stock cattle.

When he was about 70, and his sons were running things, Doc decided that three bulls needed to go to the auction.  He therefore proceeded to load them into a gooseneck..............by himself.

One, however, did not want to go........and proceeded to stomp the pee-waddin out of Doc.

When Doc finally woke on the ground outside the trailer an hour later, the bulls were in the trailer.

So, even though his head hurt, he proceeded to take the bulls to the auction..........but, since he was a little foggy, he went to the wrong auction--------- and he knew it was the wrong one because there was no auction that day when he got there.

So, went another 50 miles to the right one.

Didn't go to the doctor.......but his wife (one and only), who had probably become a practical nurse due to fixing him up after his bar escapades, bound up his rib cage, and cleaned the cuts.......Doc was kinda stubborn.

Doc and his wife left for a WW II get together in New Orleans a few days later........

Doc let his wife drive when he finally confessed to seeing eight lanes on the 4-lane interstate.

Or, as his wife told me the story........"I told that ol' ba...... that he had better pull the car over and let me drive, otherwise he was going to lose what was near and dear to him........."     etc etc all of which was quite colorful.........with the difference being she meant it.......'cause she, although being just a little woman, had her own colorful background, when she used to help Doc in the bars.

Because Doc got up at 4 AM, he thought everyone should too........and I received numerous calls at 6AM from him......."I was just sitting here having coffee, and I was thinking that if I did so and so, how would that affect my taxes?"  My wife did not appreciate it too much, and always threatened to call him at 8pm----- when he went to bed.

Doc passed several years ago........ he was just like one thinks of the old time cowboys, skin of leather, etc.

I think his era has passed.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)