AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to rotate? And a pic of calves on annual rye grass
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 10/20/2014 20:59 (#4137250 - in reply to #4137204)
Subject: RE: When to rotate? And a pic of calves on annual rye grass

Ridgway, IL
I am choosing not to move fence/cattle every day, based solely on the other chores I need to get done. I'm not opposed to the idea, just need to study on it some more.

Ben, on the tillage question.... I'm not sure we will have to till, however some guys locally have had to do tillage to finally terminate the grass. Others have had luck chemically terminating and no tilling corn into the arg. None of my neighbors graze, so I don't know what kind of wrinkles that will throw in the situation. This field was soybeans this year, going to corn next year, normally we would no till into the bean stubble, but if corn on corn would be more tillage involved. Although it seems like it's providing excellent grazing, I regret placing ryegrass on this field. I'm just fearful of how it will impact next years corn crop. Looking forward, I think annuals that winter kill would be better placed on ground going to corn in the spring... Ryegrass would be better suited for ground going to beans, so you could likely graze later into spring and take less of a yield penalty on soybeans.

The fence is Gallagher step in post with screw together insulators for the second wire. I wish you could get a double pigtail for 2 wire, the screw together insulators are not as nice as the pigtail. I use t post for corners with porcelain insulators. A 7 joule dc charge, and change batteries once a week or less.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)