AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Favorite rock bands?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 10/20/2014 19:42 (#4137044 - in reply to #4136395)
Subject: RE: Favorite rock bands?

Iowa
Music would seem to be frivolous in my world, yet some of it seems to play in the background of my mind most of the time. I don't have any particular favorite bands or songs, just gravitate towards one or another. This country used to have a primarily rural, agrarian population and its music reflected that. A lot of the popular bands of the 70's although urban, were only a generation or two removed from the era of a significant rural population base. It's striking to me to look back at a band like the Eagles and see the rural influence that is basically gone today from popular rock music.

I like the blues and its influence elsewhere. SRV for example.

I also like some of the British influence (other than the Beatles), and believe BB King also spent a fair amount of time there if IIRC.

Dire Straits would be one of my favorites. They were British, but were not accepted there until their music first became a huge success over here and elsewhere. A lot of their music was inspired by experience they had while traveling here in the USA. "Telegraph Road" would be an example, conceived while riding in the front of a tour bus going down I70 in Michigan. I'll link it below. It's 13 minutes long. The last three minutes is good instrumentals with the sound unique to Dire Straits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8sLmx2Oz6Y

-The song seems somewhat prophetic with regards to the state of our country, not that lots of the previous generation with eighth grade educations were not more than capable of seeing how things would be unfolding today.....

Edited by tigger 10/20/2014 20:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)