AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer Recommendation for the use of Apex and SMS Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 9/10/2014 14:42 (#4066543 - in reply to #4062554)
Subject: RE: Computer Recommendation for the use of Apex and SMS Software

Check the requirements for your software before buying anything to make sure you have sufficient hardware and OS compatibility.

This may/may not help but I just bought a new PC and so far I'm very impressed with and will give a little review on. Bought a Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1. I'm still skeptical about 8.1 but I have found ways to dumb down the annoying "tiles" desktop interface so it is more like Windows 7 with the start menu and normal desktop. Had to trick it to install my old laser printer that doesn't have a Win7/8 driver but there was one close enough in the same model series I got it to install, takes a little longer than I like for it to queue up and print but I don't print often so I can live with it instead of buying a new printer.

Hardware specs:

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 1GB DDR3
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4 Sound Card

It also has built in wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 (I disabled WiFi, I prefer my desktop PC to run off a wired connection for better stability and speeds) It has built in Media Card Readers for: 19-in-1 Card Reader (CF Type I, CF Type II, Micro drive, mini SD, MMC, MMC mobile, MMC plus, MS, MS Pro, MS Pro Duo, MS Duo, MS Pro-HG, RS-MMC, SD, SDHC Class 2, SDHC Class 4, SDHC Class 6, SM, xD)

Been very stable, lightning quick at boot up and launching apps. I use some Adobe products to maintain our farm website and they run very smooth. Boot up time from power on to logon screen I bet no more than 30 seconds if not less. Still have some tinkering around to do to get everything configured the way I like it but so far it's been a pretty nice machine. I have been buying Dells since 2002 and have had pretty good luck with the hardware being reliable and long lasting.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)