AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pre 1960s Aerial Photographs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 9/1/2014 05:39 (#4049687 - in reply to #4049498)
Subject: RE: pre 1960s Aerial Photographs

Chebanse, IL.....

x2 on Vintage Aerial....but not sure about "pre 1960". I've bought a few photos from them. They're not cheap however. But, someone will call you & you'll have to sit in front of a computer while this person scrolls thru a roll of film from your "area" until you are able to identify the photo you want. The gentleman I work with originally had his own aerial photo business in OH in the early '70s. He's still in photography, but no more aerial. The business died when farmsteads started disappearing...here anyway. Now they rely on appointments vs the mass shoots they used to do. Wasn't that something? People complain about privacy intrusion now...but they used to watch you from a circling airplane, take a picture of what belonged to you, then drove up in a  car & offered to sell you that photo for a relatively huge sum of money. Now, 40+ years later, you still pay a large sum of money. BUT, I did learn my lesson once. I called a company listed on the back of a color photo we had from the early '70s. I wanted to know if I could buy a replacement photo since this one had been hung in a sunlight area & was faded. They informed me that the warehouse had burned completely a few years before & all the archives perished with it!! So, if you want to wait them out,  you take  your chances.

It seems (for my NE IL area anyway) that the digitized film is not cataloged by section or locale, but rather in the order that the pilot flew the grid back whenever. Photos from '50s & early '60s are b&wh. Again, they're not cheap, but if you see an aerial photo from 40-50 yrs ago, it is irreplaceable. When/if you get the photo, then scan it in immediately with a good hi-res scanner. You can buy just the digital file, but they charge much-much more for that, which I don't understand. Again, make sure you scan it or have someone do it that knows how to degauss it so that "dots" don't show up.

Here's one I bought from 1965 of our farm. You can see a 16 yr old kid in a white t-shirt standing in front of the Quonset shed door watching the plane circling. In the lower LH corner you can see a 10 yr old kid (my brother) driving a JD 110 garden tractor pulling a neighbor kid in a wagon down the road.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)