AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High MG pounds versus CA;MG ratio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bad farmer
Posted 8/29/2014 14:52 (#4045438 - in reply to #4045178)
Subject: RE: High MG pounds versus CA;MG ratio

no welfare payments on this farm!!!!!!!!
now you will get lots of answers, great question, this is where alot of people argue with the albrecht model. for instance a low cec soil may not have enough total magnesium for crop removal if it is at 12%, same goes for other elements also. is 500 enough, yes, i would say 300 is enough for 90% of crops and 350 pounds is enough for the other ten percent. notice pounds not ppm. i would love to have low magnesium soils so i could use magnesium nitrate, the availability of all the cations ca, mg, k and na is/are more available at that 7to 1 ration, when the ratio narrows everything goes crazy and shuts down. when the ratio goes togethor there is less room for air, more compaction, increased nitrogen needed, more pig weed probs, and all the other problems that come in ag from unhealthy soil. i think that is why so many choose to corrrect the cal/mg ratio before working on anything else, becasue after that is fixed everything else you try will work better.

hope i answered you question, might have just created more questions, either way good luck and great question
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)