AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vaccination question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 4/7/2008 15:38 (#351906 - in reply to #351618)
Subject: Re: Vaccination question.

Rich, MLV = modified live virus, as opposed to a killed vaccine. You don't want to give a MLV shot to a calf nursing a non-current vaccinated pregnant cow or she could abort the calf she is pregnant with.

You CAN vaccinate a nursing calf with MLV vaccine ONLY IF the cow is current on her own shots (within past 12 months)

Clostridial is just a fancy name for blackleg. 7 way is what everyone uses on cattle around here. 8 way has redwater disease included in it. You'll have to ask Jody/wy or someone about that.

The 4 way virus vaccines typically include IBR (also known as rednose), BVD (Type 1&2), PI3, and BRSV. I think sometimes they call it a 5-way if Type I&II BVD are counted seperately.

Then a pasteurella shot and H somnus shot mixed in there somewhere.

I give the cows Pfizer PregGuard FP10 Gold at branding time. If the cows are current each year on the vaccinations FP10 could be given in the fall when cows are pregnant.I have used the Pfizer calf program but did not this year because the product was not available to give all the fall shots with 2 vaccine guns. I hate having to make things more complicated with 3 vaccine guns.

My 2007 shot program was Vision 7 at birth, Vision 7/somnus at branding, then the fall shots included Express 5/HS (IBR/BVD I&II/PI3/HS) and Pfizer One Shot Ultra 7 (pasteurella & 7 way blackleg) I poured both cows and calves with Promectin B generic ivermectin at branding and fall shot time.

Clear as mud now, right Rich? hee hee!

Edit: found some links:

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sites/Express5HS/reference.html

http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=O7&country=US&lan...

Edited by John SD 4/7/2008 16:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)