AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tell me about CB options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 7/30/2014 07:54 (#3992967 - in reply to #3992939)
Subject: RE: tell me about CB options

Did you check the SWR on your antennae? Also check to be sure there isn't a short between the inner wire & the braided grd wire. Only takes one thin braid wire to mess things up. Just takes a cheap OHM meter to check for a short. Should be able to get a SWR meter at the local truck stop or at Radio Shack. Not that expensive to buy. Most of the newer high end CBs have SWR meters built in. I have seen CBs receive without an antenae hooked up but they won't transmit.

To the OP: We run Cobra CBs in our semis for when on the hwy or at the elevator, which most around here use CB to direct truck traffic. Range is very short, maybe a mile on the hwy if lucky and a couple hundred feet around the elevators at best. For anything else I would recommend business band (FM). Not that expensive to get into & a lot better range plus with "tone squelch" you don't have to listen to a bunch of "chatter". At times you couldn't even talk to another operator in the same field you were in. We first went the CB route back in the late '70s. Then went to "boot leg" CB channels for a couple years but it went south. Switched to "FM" in the mid '80s and have been that way every since. BB will require a license but not that hard to get, you can fill out the application yoursel or pay someone to do it. A competent salesman should be able to help you out or will know a reputable firm that will do it for you. I hired it done the first time but have handled all the renewals & upgrades myself.

Edited by boog 7/30/2014 07:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)