AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One Pass Fertilizer Bar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

No soil disturbance
Posted 7/28/2014 09:48 (#3989843)
Subject: One Pass Fertilizer Bar

We are toying around with an idea of pulling our dry fertilizer system off of our planter and putting it all down in one pass in the early spring and planting right on or near the strip. We currently put a bulk of our Nitrogen on with our sprayer in the winter. We are in a climate where denitrification and leaching are not major concerns. We then come back in the spring and put on a 2x2 band of Dry N, P, and K with our planter pulling a JD dry cart. The dry fertilizer on the planter really slows down our spring planting and we are wanting to make it simpler and faster. Not to mention the hydraulic draw on our tractor pulling a 1770NT 24 row with all of it's hydraulics plus the carts hydraulics and the mere pulling requirements of a 24 row with 2x2's is about all our 360RT can handle. What we are thinking about doing is buying a pull type 60' bar specifically looking at the harvest international front folding bar. We would then put a tank on the bar and maybe saddles on our tractor. We would still pull our dry cart as we really like using dry phosphorous. We would then be putting on all of our N as UAN using the tanks and all of our P and K from the dry cart. Most of our stuff is dryland and depending on the year will only be putting on 14-45 gallons of liquid N. Only 50-200 pounds of total dry MES-Z and we need no K but throw it in for a boost at 20 pounds total.

I want to put 24 rows of Yetter Magnums on the bar for minimal disturbance application. Any experiences doing something like this? Any ideas for us to look into? What concerns should we be thinking about? I thought about a 3 point mounted bar but some of the manufacturers I called were not crazy about hooking a 30K+ pound cart behind it and pulling it. I also don't like the wing flex of a 3 point bar compared to a pull type bar. I know the trailing accuracy would be better on a 3 point bar but if we absolutely had to implement guidance could be looked at. I've got the whole system somewhat mapped out in my head in regards to rate controllers, shutoffs, etc. (Surefire Ag is just 30 minutes away and makes awesome liquid fertilizer systems top to bottom.)

We are still in the infancy stages of thinking this up but just curious if you all had any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)