AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is there a nutrient analysis or value for decomposing roots in a covercrop system?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 7/23/2014 18:34 (#3982635 - in reply to #3982539)
Subject: RE: Is there a nutrient analysis or value for decomposing roots in a covercrop system?

ecmn
as far as applying and removal rates of nutrients I spread on P and K based on historic yields. if that is a 100 bushel corn field and the nutrient levels are in the medium range I will apply P and K based on what the charts say that the crop will remove.

if the levels in the soil are very high I don't apply any because for us there has shown no return on investment spending money on P and K other then banking soil nutrients in good years to not have to buy it in the bad years.

yes not tilling the roots is how you can build organic matter in the soil. it also gives the new crop roots an easy path to follow in the soil, as well as water.

each plant has a different root system type and amount so trying to figure out how much bio mass lbs to the acre a plant is leaving in the roots all depends on the plant

an inch by inch soil test usually shows that the top couple inches are were are all your high fertility is. as you go down the fertility gets less.

this video explains a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbsTH-FCwk
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)