AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I know this should be in tech What phone to buy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 7/9/2014 18:09 (#3959884 - in reply to #3959329)
Subject: RE: I know this should be in tech What phone to buy

Wi

Perform with the quantico? Depends on what performance means to you, very different platform.  I had a quantico before going to smart phones a few years ago and while it was tough, it wasn't THAT tough. IMO the Razr was better than the Quantico, especially when it came to durability. The quantico may be tough but its huge and bulky, the Razr was thin and still lasted just as long for many people as long as you don't get mad and throw your phone alot.

A smartphone with a decent case is just as durable IMO. I still have a conspiracy theory that all phones are designed to fail after a year, or the OTA updates cause them to get angry once the newer models are out. 

For USCC smartphones the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4/S5/Note 3 are the premium phones. Looking at what they offer the only other one I would even consider is the Moto X and that is not very impressive looking next to the others.  I know a few people with them but thats because they have always had Motorola's, many have switched away to iPhone or Galaxy.   The Galaxy Mega is just a big screen, without the nice specs of the S and Note series. The Google Nexus is a well liked phone but does not work on USCC right now.

Not sure how old your store is but USCC hasn't offered the Defy for awhile and I would not advise getting one. Honestly to me the whole idea of "rugged" smart phones is one step better than "Heavy Duty radios". None of the so called rugged phones have decent performance and a simple case on a better phone can make some phones even more rugged than the so called rugged phones.

I like the Galaxy S phones but i'm holding out for the Note 4 and may try that instead of an S5 if the features are good.  I used to be a Moto fan and my S3 made me want to give up on the Galaxy line but the Moto offerings through USCC are not very good and the S4 has changed my mind after having it for almost a year. The S5 looks like it has some nice improvements. Even though its IP67 I would still get a case for protecting it from drops.  If you do ever have issues in the future, remember phones are repairable by yourself (parts are online everywhere cheap along with tools) or if you have a big city nearby you can find a shop to do it.  I would not waste money on insurance anymore, the cost per month along with the huge deductible is not worth it unless you loose phones alot. Get a case and use a little common sense. Lock the screen everytime you are done so you don't butt dial people, and put it in your pocket with the screen towards your body. Its a simple habit to get into and you will have good luck. I've only broken one smartphone screen in a little over 4 years with 4 different phones. I work in the shop and field all day and don't baby my phone but I also dont use it as a hammer or throw it around either.  I like the Otterbox commuter ? Whichever one DOES NOT have the built in screen protector and pocket clip deal.  Its a little less bulky and I'd rather stick a new protector on every few months than have one that gets scuffed and cant be replaced. If you are the person who likes to wear one on your belt you can cut the built in protector out too. They probably have some more options now than the last time I looked. Don't get caught up thinking you need the $100 cases, many report poor call quality and other issues. There are probably some people who do need them, but many who dont. If you want one get one, nothing wrong with that but if you want to save money or just simply want what you need and nothing more the simple cases like the commuter are nice. Doesn't have to be otterbox either, theres many other brands.

Incase I never mentioned it, my vote is for the S5 since I feel the options are simply iPhone 5s/c, S5 or Note 3. You said you don't like iPhone so that leaves the Galaxy's. S4 is older but proven to work well, S5 has more tech and is IP67 which is nice.  If you like bigger phones the Note 3 is a good phone too. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)