AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bean on Bean--Who Does It and What Do You Think?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 7/1/2014 14:54 (#3946544)
Subject: Bean on Bean--Who Does It and What Do You Think?

SW “Ohia”
Hey all!

Just thinking out loud here and requesting some input. I am a newer farmer (2 years in) with roughly 40 acres of ground as of this year. All spread out in smaller patches (5-25 acres), all POORLY drained clay soils.

At the current time, I am only set up for soybeans. No corn head for the combine, no corn plates for the planter, no nitrogen equipment, and worst...no experience with corn whatsoever. I come from a tobacco/cattle background, so row crop is entirely new to me and my family.

All of my ground is in beans this year. The only reason I am lucky enough to have it is because the former tenant retired and nobody else wanted the tiny patches to fool with. Every field remains too wet to access until late-June, and they most usually take a disc pass to clean up ruts from the previous fall. I prefer to no-till when possible though.

I know corn/bean is the preferred rotation, and I would do that if I thought it was feasible. But I would really like to get another year or two in learning about corn and growing practices before I give it a try. Beans are hard to screw up, corn isn't. I have strongly considered doing double-crop beans, but yet again it is lack of experience that keeps me from trying it.

Those of you who have kept ground in beans for 3+ years, how has it turned out? Does weed pressure require a rotation or can it be managed? Resistant marestail is a big problem "here" and one of my fields has strong morning-glory pressure. I have used RR beans these last two years, but I plan to go non-GMO next year using a 24-DLV4 burndown with Prowl H2O pre-emergence and Flexstar/Fusilade post-emergence.

If this is a bad idea, don't be afraid to let me know. Ed Winkle, I met you at the Clermont County Fair last year and would love to have a good conversation with you. You really seem like somebody I would like to learn from.

Thanks all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)