AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cat c-15 head
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 6/9/2014 20:39 (#3910398 - in reply to #3910119)
Subject: RE: Cat c-15 head (editted)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Yep, pull the cylinder head; again. (you should be able to reuse everything, because you obviously couldn't have run the engine very long; just double check all of your water grommets and oil passage O-rings before you "reset" it back down)

I would only do the front cover, IF it was leaking and needed to be resealed anyways. (I assume the engine is in a truck chassis = means pulling radiator, fan and hub, oil pan, air compressor, P.S. pump, etc PLUS How will you set backlash on idler gear, with all that rocker arm valve spring tension, SO you will need to loosen everything on the top end (of the cyl. head), anyways = might as well just pull the cylinder head, because all the valve train and jakes will be off or loosened already)

Edit: I should add, You don't have to totally remove the cylinder head(from the truck) either = it just needs to be lifted over the alignment dowels and set rearward about 1"-1.5" = just enough to install and tighten the plug, with a 90 degree allen wrench. You got use some clean, short 2x4s, wrapped in clean towels to set cylinder head, while still on engine block; then it would be stable while you installed and tightened the missing plug. {you might be able to install the plug, thru the cam hole in front cover, too; while being lifted}

I would also add to use a flashlight and a mirror to double check nothing falls on top of pistons, also = do this 10 seconds before you reset the head down.

Edited by 4WD 6/9/2014 20:56

(C15 cylinder head.jpg)

(CAT3406ECylinderHead.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments C15 cylinder head.jpg (18KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments CAT3406ECylinderHead.jpg (81KB - 101 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)