AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone out there with hydraulic planter drives feel you have gained nothing from them?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 6/1/2014 19:46 (#3897117 - in reply to #3896616)
Subject: RE: Anyone out there with hydraulic planter drives feel you have gained nothing from them?

Missouri
Big Ben - 6/1/2014 13:45
If you're varying rates to maximize yields on different slopes and soil types, I can see where it would pay, but our farming practices are more geared toward getting every acre to perform the same, not just accepting their differences.
So have any of you guys ditched the hydraulic drive in favor of ground drive?

I don't want to criticize anyone's farming practice, but I can see the benefits in getting every acre to perform to 100% of it's yield potential (or 100% of it's economic potential, to use a different perspective), but I do not see the benefit in getting them to all perform the same. Except in the case of remarkably uniform ground, in which case those two things are pretty much one and the same. Ground of uniform yield potential would make a lot of things simpler.

Hydraulic drive really shines in prescription rate scenearios. That is the one instance where it truly enables you to do something which is impossible with ground drive. If your practices do not incorporate a variable rate planting technique, then the major potential benefit of a hydraulic drive becomes a moot point in your operation.

The rest of the benefits of hydraulic drive are little more than small conveniences. Finger tip rate changing. Convenient priming of vacuum meters. The ability to run the driveline standing still for maintenance and diagnostic purposes.

It does have the drawback of requiring an extra SCV, and having a slightly higher operational learning curve. It's not for everyone. As with all planter options, it's important to consider the pros and cons of each of these options, as it pertains to your unique farming operation, when making your planting equipment acquisitions. As evidenced by the replies in this thread, you can find those that would not be with out it, and likewise those who would not have it. Hopefully everyone posting is equipped in accordance with their preferences.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)