AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about dealer problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CEO
Posted 4/28/2014 09:38 (#3841063)
Subject: Question about dealer problem

Along the lines of the chopper nightmare and the other question about a less than truthful deal, here is my problem. I bought a tractor at a dealer about 200 miles from home. I normally would deal only with my home dealer but I wanted a less than common model. My dealer had been searching for one but I saw an ad for this unit and it was close enough to drive to, so I went to look at it. The hours displayed were reasonable for the year model and I know enough to look for external wear signs. The drawbar was used but not wore badly, paint was perfect, a couple of minor dings, and the cab interior was in great shape but wasn't new. I drove it and found nothing wrong in a half hour driving around the dealers lot. That was nearly 2 years ago. This winter it went into the shop because I was hearing a driveline noise last fall. It turns out the rear axle bearing were shot, it had a ton of metal in the rear end and I ended up with a massive repair bill. In the process of doing the repair, the mechanic told me he read the hours in the computer as 10,000 more than displayed. He also stated his belief that someone had opened up the rear end and closed it back up without doing any repairs. Obviously, this last part would be impossible to pin on the selling dealer but I do have an invoice with the hours stated incorrectly. The other problem is the elapsed time since the initial sale. Also some doubters could say that all the damage occurred after the sale but I think not.

I realize I am not likely to get anywhere with the dealer involved but does anyone think there is a chance? It's a lesson for all I guess. Would you have asked the dealer to hook up a computer and check the hours stored internally?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)