AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can the S/N on an old SM Farmall be looked up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 4/20/2014 19:08 (#3827374 - in reply to #3826403)
Subject: RE: Can the S/N on an old SM Farmall be looked up

Chebanse, IL.....

Ted

Thanks for reply.

I'm pretty sure about the voltage thing...it's like this. The M & SM were still  6v machines. I don't think 12V was available, I hope I'm correct. The later 400 & 450 gas machines were optional 6V or 12V. Local old-time (in his late 80s now) IH mechanic that helps us reminded me that the 12V was only optional on those later tractors because many farmers still had 6V equipment & if all of a sudden you had all 6V & then one 12V machine...how are you going to "jump" it, which was quite often done back then. But, 6V finally gave way & everything became 12V. Restoration had started on this SM by a neighbor & I'm guessing he converted it. Not a big deal. We've converted a couple since this one. We always have the starter re-wired for 12V so the bendix doesn't slam against the ring gear so hard when you hit the factory 6V starter w/12V. Of course the generator & lights need to be changed also. We also always restore them to generators & remove the alternators that had been added to most of those older tractors in recent years. We like the originality & the only downside might be in a parade with a long-time idling engine. However, we do convert them to electronic ignition & they draw almost 0 power.

Ted, I don't know what my first job would've been on an M or SM. But it might've been baling also. Yes, a live pto would've been nice in those tractors, but if you had a Super M TA, then you did get live pto. Our Ms & SMs never had fenders. First one we had w/fenders was a 450D. But, I think this steel bracket extension came with the fenders, at least it does on the replacement fenders we buy today. They still bolt to the axle, but can be extended out.

Photo below is our Uncle Don that lived & farmed with us driving our fairly new SM. I have no idea what became of that tractor. Uncle had probably just returned home from 2 yrs in Korea in Army. We used the SM for everything & it finished the yr on disking (note "straight" David Bradley disk) & plowing. Also note the fuel slop all over the tank. In-field fueling was done w/5 gal buckets & the funnels tended to leak & need re-soldering often it seemed to me. Belt pulley duties had also been utilized. As I recall, we had a feed hammermill that was permanently mounted in the barn that we ran w/a belt. Also, our first sheller was a Ottawa C that was also belt drive. IH Ms & SMs were the most prevalent tractor in this area. IH dealerships were probably located every 5 miles that I recall.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)