AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exapta Valion installation(pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 4/14/2014 20:44 (#3816373 - in reply to #3816084)
Subject: RE: Exapta Valion installation(pics)

00rooster - 4/14/2014 18:26

I decided to Exapta's Valion seed tube guards a try since my old JD ones were wore out. They look pretty good, but with all the engineering that went into the development and production they kind of punted the installation of the rivet for the front hole. The "Exapta approved" method is to hold a large hammer on the rivet head and use a smaller hammer to form the rivet down....Am I the only one perplexed by needing to be swinging a hammer while you awkwardly hold another hammer on the other side...all the while there is a VERY brittle piece of cast in the vicinity that could instantly be turned to scrap with one errant swing?

Time for a better solution Exapta. [ . . . ]

These may not be "Approved" methods but they worked for me, and there was far less risk of damage than swinging that hammer around.

Thank you for your comments and suggested solutions.  This problem was back on my radar screen from a posting here on AgTalk a week or so ago -- and I was actually asking my machinist earlier today as to which rivet-clenching tool he thought would be best -- a big set of pincher type with long handles, or the screw-down type that you have kindly photographed and posted.  We were thinking of either offering them for sale, or put down a deposit and we loan it to you until you're done with the install. 

The fasteners as well as the clenching method were borrowed from RK Products, and I simply hadn't revisited the tried and true, although I admit those rivets aren't exactly easy to install.  As to using a bolt there (front hole), even if it's fine-threaded, with lock-tite, that doesn't work for most people -- there's not enough remaining to hold it together after you grind it down so it doesn't rub.  How much clearance you have to work with in that spot depends on opener blade flatness, and how tightly they're shimmed.  There really isn't room for anything thicker than a squashed rivet.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.  I think the best method is to squash the rivet as much as possible with the threaded crush-clamp (such as is used for sickle rivets), then give it a good wack with a hammer at the end to make it truly solid by swelling the rivet.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)