AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

surface rt and microsoft office?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 4/13/2014 12:28 (#3812955 - in reply to #3812595)
Subject: RE: surface rt and microsoft office?

It would make sense that it does, and it seems to be what the links says too:
"The only tablets with Microsoft Office 2013 RT built in"
I just don't know if it's valid for all models (if there's more than one) of Surface RT tablets.
If it is built in, then I don't understand the meaning behind the original question, if it's because they already have an Office box, or if it's about having a specific feature of Office that's not available on RT, or because they are used to the old user interface and would like to keep it that way, which may mean they use an external keyboard for Office and not the touch screen or voice recognition that much. I wouldn't dream of typing even this post without a keyboard, let alone a whole Word document.

And at the price Microsoft sells the Surface Pro, I would expect Office RT to be built in them too! ;)
Probably with a free one month trial of Office 365 to lure more customers into the subscription model... [/cynical]

There's also the usual alternatives, like Libre Office, but I don't know/remember if they released a RT version of their app. Firefox cancelled all plans for a RT version, after working on one for a year or so, because the demand was not there, and because of the difficulties of maintaining a single code base for all versions they do (Windows, Linux, Mac OS). RT requires totally incompatible code changes, it's a whole new application, not a slightly different version. Eventually I am sure they'll figure it out, just like there's compilers that translate the same code into different binary files for different platforms. Eventually that is, if consumers give RT a future. And if that future is more than a deprecatory word in our future language, like "I don't give a RT about you" or "Where the RT is that RTing remote?" ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)