AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waterhemp officially declared RR resistant in MO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 7/21/2006 14:18 (#28658 - in reply to #28182)
Subject: You boys sound like you have all the "right" answers!

Callao, Missouri
If you all really want to back your recommendations for Missouri farmers, I'd challenge you to take a look at some of my fields. RRsoybeans were literally the "savior" for a lot of farmers in this area, because tall waterhemp was taking over no-till conventional bean fields faster than any chemical could be applied. This is our second year for returning to non-gmo's, and I'm about at my witts end. I've got waterhemp EVERYWHERE, except the fields that were conventional tillage (bottom ground). I can't use conventional tillage on the hills, lest my downstream neighbor aquires my topsoil.

The number one reason why it's continous soybeans is because it is more PROFITABLE to raise soybeans in MO, than corn, milo, wheat, etc. My idea of a bumper corn crop is 150bu, compared to your idea of 200+. My idea of a bumper soybean crop is 60bu......not so far apart now, are we? No matter what a person should do philisophically (sp), profit in the end rules for the general public. Yes, some farmers are "lazy", but I take issue with plopping out just as many input dollars as the guy in IL, to only raise 1/2 the crop he can. I do rotate my crop ground, with very rare cases of the same crop back to back....but I know where my money maker is......its the soybeans.

Farmers in MO are simply trying to maximize profit, and are turning a blind eye towards weed resistance issues. Weed resistance is a cost that everyone will bear, so why should anyone expect certain individuals to put themselves at an economic disadvantage to promote your profitability?

Tall waterhemp will most likely continue to be a formidible foe. I've got fields of beans that recieved the full 12.5oz of Cobra, only to burn the heck out of the beans, and barely slow the waterhemp down. I even put on my rust tips for the last field I sprayed. We'll see how the waterhemp handles 12oz Cobra, 1.5pt Crop Oil, 1.5#AMS with 20gpa @ 55psi! The tips point frontwards and backwards, and it looks like a 60' fog machine rolling through the field. If this don't kick'em, there will be some MAJOR changes in how we grow conventional beans.

And, if anyone would like to make a personal visit....give me a shout.... tsc(removethis)[email protected]

Enough Ranting....lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)