AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Worst day I've ever seen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 3/18/2014 22:02 (#3762168 - in reply to #3761682)
Subject: RE: Worst day I've ever seen

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
If you get a field that is really blowing, working it up is all you can do. Getting big tall ridges in it crosswise with the wind is the best thing, although bringing up any clods and wet dirt will help.

We've got some interesting loam here, I've seen it so wet it wouldn't hold a tractor up, yet it was blowing so bad it was drifting the roads in. Top 2" was dry. Wet winters with dry springs are the worst. A year like this with a dry winter won't mellow the ground on top out enough to get it to blowing. I fall plowed some ground and was a little worried about it blowing. Hasn't been a puff of dust off of it all winter, it is still rough and cloddy like the day I plowed it.

I've probably said it before, but trying to plant a cover crop to 'hold' the ground is one of the best/worst ideas ever here. If the wheat gets a good stand, it is great. A poor stand, or one that gets frozen or geese eat off enough to get it to blowing will blow worse than any fall rough worked ground. Working ground fine enough to plant grain is kind of a gamble, it will either pay off well or really loose.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)