AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drought & Alfalfa - feed quality and plant health?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 7/16/2006 08:36 (#27022 - in reply to #27019)
Subject: RE: Drought & Alfalfa - feed quality and plant health?

What will feed quality be like? I think you will find out when you feed it. When we have droughts, alfalfa yield tends to be low, and quality tends to be high. But I think you will be able to answer that in due time.

As for killing the stand.... no, I doubt that very much. The fact that the alfalfa is knee-high now tells me that it is not stressed out completely yet. I have see drought-stressed alfalfa no taller than 12" - many plants were less - and it flowers. Under severe drought conditions, alfalfa will tend to go dormant. When it gets water again, it will green up.
Another interesting observation: I have seen that - in drought conditions - newer stands tend to go dormant before older stands. My reasoning on this is that older stands typically have deeper roots, which enable them to get the soil moisture that is deeper in the soil. Newer stands, with their less developed root system, can't get that deeper moisture so they shut down sooner. Don't worry about losing stands. Just be patient .... and keep praying for rain!    Smile

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)