AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are they promoting spraying aphids before thresholds??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sri
Posted 7/13/2006 22:49 (#26378 - in reply to #26276)
Subject: RE: Why are they promoting spraying aphids before thresholds??

nw pa
Won't argue the point of needless spraying but will have to add. It all depends on what threshold you use. Most guys tend to spray to late. When aphids first appeared the threshold was high,been dropping every year. All I can say is every time we have sprayed it has made a difference in the beans. Maybe not in end yield if conditions are right but when the fall gets long and the days grow short, nice standing beans that don't go over with the first wind and rain is worth a lot to us. Personally I think the threshold should be about 50 for the average farmer since we probably miss half of them when counting. Intend to try some of both and check it out. Got a field that needs cleaned up and going to go the full route some with insecticide some with fungicide some without some with both. We won't do a full fledged yield check unless there is a noticable difference. I say try some and see but don't get carried away. Need to make or save ten bu to make it pay. An extra truck load won't do much good if your just hauling it to the chemical company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)