AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1991 Detroit 3-53 2 stoke
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

detroitdiesel
Posted 12/7/2013 12:50 (#3498754 - in reply to #3498365)
Subject: Re: 1991 Detroit 3-53 2 stoke

Chillicothe, Missouri
I believe that you can use 15w-40in the engines, but they were intended to have a single weight oil in the engine. (Don't have and manuals with me in the city, the y are in the farm shop.)
This is in-part to the amount of oil that the engine pumps. It has Piston coolers on every wrist pin, normally four ports. which is why the oil pressure falls off so fast when RPM drops.

and for the Fuel.... what we get is at best questionable diesel fuel. We commonly at 2-stroke oil to the bulk tank prior to filling it for use in older diesels. My Common Rail 5.9 I add Diesel Kleen, which lubricates the injectors, and brings the fuel to meet the requirements.

Edit: Detroit Diesel says, that the additives in the multi weight oil break down much faster when used in two-stroke diesels. and when they break down, then it will change back, and remain the lower weight oil.

example: 15W-40, is a 15wt oil with additives, that cause it to act like 40wt. The two-stroke cause these additives to break down earlier, losing the changing weight of oil, once these have been broken down, it is simply reverted back to the base weight of the oil. So it would be like running 15wt oil in your engine.

Edited by detroitdiesel 12/7/2013 13:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)