AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Choosing between 1066 and 1086 tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Duke_76
Posted 12/8/2013 15:56 (#3501833 - in reply to #3498341)
Subject: Re: Choosing between 1066 and 1086 tractor

Clay SEIA says it all really well about 86 series haters. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Clay sums it up well.

I like the 86 series a lot, so let's deal with a couple facts:

- when you're buying used, you're buying what's left. Especially true with a 30 to 40 year old farm tractor.

- IH sold 128,044 of the 66/68 series from 1971 to 1976. They sold 128,102 of the 86/3x88 2+2's from 1976 to 1981. These stats should help put into context that 86 series was every bit in demand and liked as the 66 series, despite some that may hint otherwise.

- IH 50 series would be great, but very few were made compared to the 86 series (excluding 2+2's). Only 18,031 50 series were made. So......it's a numbers thing: if you can find a good 50 series go for it. But as you can tell not many were being built or sold between 1981 and 1985 (the bad times in farming). In fact as another number to consider, IH made 47,420 of the 1086 (most popular model of the series). That translates to the fact that IH made 2 1/2 times as many 1086's alone from 1976 to 1981, as IH made of the entire 50 series from 1981 to 1985. You are just going to have more selection and parts 30 years later.

- The cab and door argument. Consider what you are not being told: Like other manufacturers there were a host of relatively cheap after market gadgets to make your tractor more personalized. That means things like different steps and door options are out there. A person's size, flexibility, and what they are used to also factor into likes or dislikes so you may want to put this into context as well. No different than some people who prefer a certain car or pick up truck for the same reasons.

- One piece that many forget about the 86 series cab interior: the original design was for the basic seat with black interior (1976-1979). In the early versions I mean the black vinyl one that later became the cloth red seat. However, IH decided to have fancier interiors in the later models (red or western interior). The ONLY manufacturer of the time to offer a range of interior cab options. Here's my point: the fancier versions came with that larger hydraulic seat with the high back (largely in the western interior models). That larger seat DOES make the cab a little tighter to get in/out of. I own a 1981 986 tri-stripe with the black interior and red cloth seat. I also have a 1981 1586 tri-stripe with the western interior and the high-back hydraulic seat (second owner of both). The 1586 is not as easy to get out of with that seat as it takes more room. Something to think about with the 86 series.......

- The 86 series cab was actually on the drawing board in 1967/68 into what was supposed to be the 1556 - the big brother of the 1456. Largely for financial and planning reasons that tractor wasn't made, but the design remained. In fact the majority of the design features were largely what became the 1586 in 1976. That cab was the first true modern cab by IH and was the quietest on the market for several years. So again - please remember the time and context of the 86 series....

Finally, I vote for the 86 series as the easier one to work on. I have a very early 766 1976 black stripe as well, and the 86 series is just easier to work on as a whole. It's just the way it is, as IH made the 86 series that way as part of the design.

I hope the above helps you out, and best of luck!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)