AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting canola/rapeseed with a Kinze Planter? Attention Virgina Veg. Farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sdwalton
Posted 12/6/2013 10:06 (#3495755)
Subject: Planting canola/rapeseed with a Kinze Planter? Attention Virgina Veg. Farmer

Southeast NC

Looking at purchasing a Kinze split row planter for planting rapeseed and soybeans on 15" rows.  We've been planting on 15" with a JD 1990 air drill with the single-wheeled yetter row cleaner mounted on the front rank, but still aren't satisfied with the stands  that we are seeing both in rapeseed behind corn and in soybeans behind wheat.

Looking at a either a 3600 or a 3660.  Not sure on all the differneces between the two models, and wondering if somebody could clear that up for me and whether I should have a preference for one or the other.  
I'm also wondering whether anybody has experience with the bulk fill option and handling rapeseed.  Had a neighbor that was using a Case IH planter (1240 model maybe???, i'm not current on case IH model numbers) wtih the bulk fill option, and he had trouble with the mini-hoppers at the row overfilling with the rapeseed and running out on the ground.  Also had trouble with the small amount of trash in the seed (the little sticks from the rapeseed plants branches) plugging the holes on his disk plate.  could this be an issue with the Kinze planter? Should i just go with the standard hoppers mounted on each row?  Also, what king of metering system do i need? finger, edgevac or are there other options?  I'm guessing the edgevac would be prone to the same type of plugginf from the trash that my neighbor exprienced.....Is there a plate for canola/rapeseed or will i have to use a  sorghum plate or sugar beet, for either the edgevac or the finger?  

Rafe,  I saw in a post from a few years (http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=262721&posts=10&highlight=canola%20kinze&highlightmode=1#M2021776) back that you had a friend that was going to use a 3660 for planting canola....was this a bulk seed planter, or the individual units? .....did he end up making the custom disk or go another route?  You and i have a common acquitance in bullard irrigation.  we do some farming for ed, and i've heard him mention your name a few times.  

Sam 

Edited by sdwalton 12/6/2013 10:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)