AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best used sprayer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 12/6/2013 11:13 (#3495937 - in reply to #3495604)
Subject: RE: Spra-coupe

just a tish NE of central ND
IALTO - 12/6/2013 08:20

Melroe 103 spra-coupe. 55' boom, 135 gal tank. If you fill it full it will splash on your back some when you take off but that's fine. The VW engine may or may not idle while you refill but not a big deal. Front wheel will push in the mud but I guess if its wet you should not be out there anyway. The steering may break your wrist and or arm if you hit a rut so bear that in mind. The boom tip controls are mechanical so no hydraulics to worry about, although you have to operate them with the arms/wrists that you may or may not have seriously injured steering. Booms fold manually, again no hydraulic worries. The operator is basically the hydraulic system. No cab so some type of HSMAT suit may be appropriate attire for operating a 103. Its light and comes with a hitch to tow it, both bonuses.

You leave me chucking a lot as I had one of them, but mine had a factory cab,or was that a "very very tight fitting cockpit or MOUSE CUBBY" MAN THAT THING WAS TINY! you lifted the roof above the door to get inside to sit on a seat that was on the floor .But first............ you had to climb the frame like a monkey climbing a tree to get up high enough without a real step anywhere to stand on, funny I never broke a leg doing that all the time....
You forgot to mention the underpowered vw engine that pulled itself way down in soft ground and the governor that did what it wanted to do, the chain cases that when you least expected it lost the bolt out of the end sprocket and wrapped up the chains in the greasy case in the least desirable locations like on the middle of the road or in patch of Canada thistles, and also the good smell of chemicals that leaked out of the controls that was right next to you leg on the right side. And those brakes that probably didn't stop it from right off of the assembly line. Also that fancy generator system that worked intermittently was a good ordeal.... but a new one always made it work again for a while. Those were the days, and sadly enough those days are only about 10 years ago here. Id never never go back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)