AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best big Square baler and why
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fawazhay
Posted 12/6/2013 22:02 (#3497496 - in reply to #3494908)
Subject: Re: Best big Square baler and why

Northern CA
In response to the adjustability of the stuffer on the Hesston, the Krone VFS is adjustable, too. There is a spring that sets how much tension it takes to trip the feeder. I have the opposite thoughts on parts and moving parts with the Krone vs. Hesston than stated above. Looking at my neighbor's two year old 2170 XD, I thought it was more complicated than the Krone. The Krone is also very accessible the way the side shields and twine boxes swing up and out of the way. For winter service, in less than a half hour one can have the Krone ready for winter overhaul by removing the twine boxes and a few other shields and the baler is quite accessible. We don't have any dealer within 100 miles of us, and then all are available. Krone has a customer care / baler first aid kit as they call it. It was $1700 and I had them had some extra parts until I got to $2000. They told me that I should have all parts in stock that they could see me possibly needing in season. I broke two springs throughout the year. I believe both that broke were original because the new ones were a different style that will last longer. The chains on a Hesston might be low maintenance, but driveshafts and gear boxes are lower maintenance. In regards to the jackhammer effect on the slip clutches and breaking the shaft, that was a legitimate concern for operators that push the baler and plug it up all the time. They updated that shaft with a harder one. I heard the parts are around $1600. I was told it didn't usually break the shaft right of way, but wore the splines on it. Mine are still good and original, so the previous owner must not have pushed it. I don't think you would be disappointed with either, but I know you wouldn't be with the Krone.

The one area where I could see you being disappointed in the Hesston is Agco knew it was lighter built and provided a baler strengthening kit for those baling in tougher conditions. I can't see having to weld gussets on a new baler so that it won't break while baling. The Krone is just built heavy enough from the start.

Also, as above, I like Agco equipment. I run two Gleaner combines and two Hesston swathers.

Edited by Fawazhay 12/6/2013 22:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)