AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me understand what im paying for and how to cheapen it up. seed traits vs. insecticide.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ILCORNGROWER
Posted 11/23/2013 21:03 (#3464856 - in reply to #3464206)
Subject: Re: help me understand what im paying for and how to cheapen it up. seed traits vs. insecticide.....

Northern Illinois
It all depends on your level of rootworm pressure and what you are trying to achieve/deal with. In our part of the world everybody has grown corn on corn forever. It was a way of life historically due to livestock. Then the livestock left the farm and soybeans got white mold so it was easier to continue growing corn.....

Before rootworm corn most everybody ran full rates of soil applied insecticides and many ran penncapp adult programs on continuous corn acres. It worked. Then with the advent of RW corn everybody thought this easy we will plant this stuff and (some not all) not comply to refuge requirements. Now we are literally running scared because we have built up extremely high populations of western CRW. Aztec and Force in this part of the world on any single traits is probably a must(many are doing this even on rotated acres). Capture LFR is a good product for a crutch but I have a buddy who ran it this year and had some corn on the same farm that was single trait and the capture corn was chewed up badly and force corn was almost perfect.

I think capture is good as a crutch but it really depends on your geography. In our neck of the woods you would have 3.0 root ratings if you planted non gmo even on bean ground with anything other than force or Aztec.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)