AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drawbar or 3 point?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 11/21/2013 09:21 (#3458737 - in reply to #3458269)
Subject: Re: drawbar or 3 point?

Wi

KMech - 11/21/2013 02:42 It's not a matter of which is stronger, but what type of force are you talking about. It's not a draft load that causes tongue failure, it's tongue weight. Two point type hitching puts the tongue weight on the lift arms. Lift arms are much better suited for carrying that type of load. It's the reason they're there. I have wondered for some time now why no one makes a cart with a two point hitch. The only thing I can figure on it is it must be too hard to make clearance for the PTO driveshaft.

Our Merger and many discbines use 2 point hitches and simply use the PTO to drive a hydro pump, possibly this would be needed for a cart to work this way?  It works good, but the merger will make our 2wd 8910 with a full rack of weights pop the front end in the air if you let the clutch out a little too quick.

Trent2520 - 11/21/2013 03:44 The U.S. standards for drawbars (16" behind 1000 rpm pto) is not good for heavy drawbar loads. They have it figured out in Europe. They do a lot more heavy hauling with tractors than we do here. They have hitches that are very close to the rear end housing of the tractor. This is the same effect as a gooseneck vs. a bumper hitch trailer. If you look at their trailers the axles are set back more and the tractor carries a much higher percentage of tongue weight. This improves traction, capacity, and handling.

x2, road transport is much safer there as tractors do the majority of it.  A lot of them use the Ball/spoon which puts the weight right at what would be considered the draw bar "support". Most allow the height to be adjusted as well. to have the proper hitch point.

Tilt - 11/21/2013 05:51 You have the right idea frytown,but I would go one step farther and mount or weld quick tach hooks on the end of the link arms to do away with the quick tach itself.

Why we use quick hitches in NA versus Walterschied ends still baffles me. After using them on our Fendt I wish everything had them.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)