AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS accurate enough for section control?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 3/11/2013 18:02 (#2958125 - in reply to #2957753)
Subject: RE: WAAS accurate enough for section control?

Middlesex County, Ontario
Ed Boysun - 3/11/2013 14:54

Most of my fields are laid out so I spray N-S.
I like to spray headlands first and they are sprayed E-W.
Cross track error is much worse on E-W passes.
There are times that WAAS can vary 3 to 4 feet during the day. Cross track error on E-W can be double that.
You can possibly get by with shift track to correct for sudden jumps on the swaths. Much harder to do that for the headlands having shifted and confusing the shutoff as you come into previously sprayed areas in the headlands.    So you may end up with 6 feet or so that get sprayed double. You may also end up with a 6 foot skip there. If you happen to have wild oats that you're trying to control, the skips will seed that area and also whatever area the combine covers after running through that skip. Then you get to spray a good portion of the field next year. That's probably OK though, as the chemical companies need a revenue stream too and wild oat chemical isn't really all that expensive.

This is exactly what I was worried about. When you snap to a line you are only correcting left/right, not the fwd/back position of a headland. I'm afraid that after spraying for an hour my headland position is going to be off and I am going to miss/overlap when I come to headlands. Anyone else have this issue?

I expect payback by turning on/off accurately at headlands, not so much triangles. I have two 30ac triangles, the rest is right angles or square.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)