AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bale processors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

johnwayne360
Posted 12/1/2012 16:43 (#2727145 - in reply to #2726291)
Subject: RE: bale processors?

near dyersville iowa
I struggle with the answer to this. I also have 40 cows. I think a bale processor(not a tmr) might be the answer, but im not really sure. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For example, if you have tmr, you could feed half or more cornstalks and some ddgs. This may reduce your cost quite a bit, especially with $250+ hay. Cornstalks are decent feed, but there is a lot of waste if you do not grind them-the cows are really good and sorting out the stalks and eating the leaves. Is it enough to overcome the cost? That depends a lot on the price of hay. This year probably..next year..probably..year after that..who knows? Right now Im leaning toward putting new fences around the entire farm. There are a couple ditches that the cows could clean out for me that probably benefits me as much as the tmr would, plus I would have the advantage of not hauling manure, etc. But we have had open winters up here the last couple years. When the snow gets deep, I have to feed hay too...Sometimes paralysis by analysis reigns supreme in my brain..sigh..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)