AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ovsync Protocols
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 11/29/2012 14:39 (#2723543 - in reply to #2723511)
Subject: Re: Ovsync Protocols

Manitoba
GNRH day 1, Prostaglandin day 7, neither of these previous time sensitive, GNRH day 9 (4:30 - 6:30 pm), breed 9:30 -10:30 am day 10. cows may receive prostaglandin day -28 and / or day -14 (using the first ovsynch GNRH as day 1) for these we don't breed on the -28 day if we see a heat but we will breed on the -14 heat. once they go through these 2 prostaglandin shots the animal should be at the right point in her cycle for the ovsynch protocol if she is not bred of a standing heat.

hope that makes sense. we start the first prostaglandin shot (the -28 day one) about day 35 post calving. that may vary a bit based on ultrasound on herd health day. that is every 14 days, tuesdays here.

ovsynch always bugs me as we always do the same thing and yet we'll go through a time where we achieve amazing results and then for some reason things tank for a while. then you have a bunch of breedings trying to catch up and all of a sudden everything is getting pregnant and you have a wave of pregnancies all within a week. Thats a "good" problem compared to open animals but tough to manage that window with so many fresh at once. I think the 2 prostaglandin shots prior to starting ovsynch makes a big difference. even with the ultrasound my gut and experience tells me that the vets don't know where they are in the cycle as well as they think they do.

Edited by Oakwood 11/29/2012 14:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)