AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Illinois Pheasant's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sodbuster35
Posted 11/18/2012 07:43 (#2703426 - in reply to #2702031)
Subject: Re: Illinois Pheasant's

WC Illinois/SE Iowa
Illinois pheasants are few and far between. Most are raised and set for hunting. We go to Iowa, but lately even their hatches haven't been great. I remember in the 80's my dad and uncle letting guys come up from Southern IL to hunt our farms, but there is not a pheasant to be had in that area (near Lincoln) or where I live now. My theory is the fact that most of us mow our waterways and ditches multiple times a year and our over abundance of coyotes. I'm not exactly sure about the Champaign area, but I have lived in every other region of Illinois and there are none. With that being said, in my immediate area, there are a few coveys of quail that we have seen in the past few years. We are letting them grow to possibly hunt in the future. And rabbits are becoming more prevalant lately. Both of these happenings would lessen the chance of the problem being a coyote thing and still being a cover issue. (Quail and rabbits use brush piles which we have plenty of since more and more tree lines are being torn up)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)