AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vinyl picket fence, any suggestions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/17/2012 11:04 (#2702069 - in reply to #2701128)
Subject: RE: Vinyl picket fence, any suggestions?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Chris - 11/16/2012 19:51

My understanding is that there are different kinds of vinyl and some don't last too long.  I'd like something that I don't have to do anything with for at least 20 years, by that time I should be gone.

I

I replaced a wood lath-type fence some five years ago that was breaking up.  It had been installed by a previous owner about 6 years previous, needed paint, and had lots of broken wood lath.  He made frames around the lath fencing, painted it, then screwed the frames to posts buried in concrete.

I bought plastic sleeves to put over the wooden posts, took all the frames apart and painted them, then bought the best quality (at least the most expensive) plastic lath type fence panels I could find to attach to the frames.  Put it all together, thinking it would last 20 years as you mentioned. 

After about three years, my wife repainted the frames with mold resistant paint I purchased for her, lots of green algae growing on the wood and even the plastic.  She washed the plastic with bleach, which I thought would hinder mold growth on it. 

Now some of the plastic lathes are breaking up, the frames are not bad, but not as good a condition as I would have believed.  Only thing that is holding up pretty good is the plastic sleeves and plastic caps on the posts, they still look like new.

Perhaps with some good research, I might have found better plastic, but I am a bit disappointed in my project, although it should last as long as I live, it won't look too good at my wake.         

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)