AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seems like much of what I grow is bad for you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/14/2012 18:59 (#2697181 - in reply to #2696226)
Subject: Re: Seems like much of what I grow is bad for you

Such a broad range must be tough on your son, it is frequent allergies don't cover just one food type.
I don't even think they should be called food allergies, they are really like full fledged auto-immune diseases: Eat a little bit of one of these prohibited substances, and it will immediately trigger the anti-body cells to attack not these "foreign" substances, but your own body's legit cells.

I am no doctor, but faced with such an extreme disease, I would resort to extreme measures, like living on a full organic vegan diet that also excludes all these vegetal substances you listed, say for a month or two, and see how it goes from there. I have an extra copy of "The China Study" book I'll gladly send you for free if you are interested, I found it an eye-opener for possible causes for all these modern diseases that seem to plague us. Well, that would be nowhere near "extreme" measures, millions of people live very well on such a diet.

Hey, looks like rice which has no gluten would work great for your son. Try some idli or dosa recipes, which are lactofermented steamed cakes or panfried pancakes of rice, or rice and lentils, if lentils are OK. The simplest version is extremely easy to make: grind rice into meal, add water to the consistency of a somewhat liquid pancake batter, let ferment naturally overnight (in a glass or ceramic bowl with a cloth on top, at room temperature). It should grow in volume a bit and start making small bubbles. Lactofermentation is a great traditional process (sauerkraut, Russian pickles, tempeh, spiced kimchi) that "predigests" the food and makes it easier on our stomach. It needs a bit of time to work, that's why we don't see more of it on the shelves of our supermarkets.

If you use lentils, let both the lentils and rice soak overnight, it will allow at least the lentils to build up some more vitamins during these few hours of germinating. Then grind them to a paste together of the same consistence as before and let it ferment for several hours. Bake pancakes that cover the whole frying pan, in just a little oil or butter. Make them thin or thicker, depending on how you like them or plan to use them (as a bread accompaniment, stuffed and rolled or folded, etc.) The lactic acid gives a pleasant sour taste, like sourdough, because mostly this is what it is! ;) If you don't use all the batter, you can refrigerate the bowl until next meal, but it will usually also keep at room temperature for some more hours.

Your son should not be totally deprived of fish, he can probably eat farmed fish such as tilapia or a whole trout. Only sea water fish, farmed or wild, contain high levels of mercury. For that matter, most rice from the mid south states contain arsenic according to Consumer Reports, it really starts to be annoying when you have to take into account all these dietary limitations, but where would be the fun without them? ^-^

Edited by Chimel 11/14/2012 19:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)