AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to find out if i mined my soil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 9/29/2012 09:48 (#2614381 - in reply to #2613592)
Subject: Re: How to find out if i mined my soil

Martinsville, Ohio
I must say you did good, congratulations.

There are 17 known plant nutrients, we concentrate on the 3 that dominate farming, NPK.

CHO are huge and include lime and tile and other drainage systems.

I became interested in the secondary and the minors years ago. I look at S, B, Mn, Zn, Cu. I usually don't pay much attention to Na or Fe.

Did you mine your soil? It sounds like a healthy crop from a healthy soil. You may have taken from the "bank" which farmers often do or have to do.

A soil test helps but just gives a chemical snapshot a certain point in time. Tissue test helps check the minors and overall balance. Soil biology seems to over compensate for all these factors.

Physics is one thing, soil physical structure. It is important.
Chemical is another thing, we can quatify the results or status a little more easily but still much is unknown.
Biology is a huge thing, so microscopic we don't even see it. A soil health exam has been attempted but is in crude stages at this point.

So did you mine your soil? I don't know. I think you will gain some insight with a soil test. My soil test history here over 8 years from the same lab I trust has helped me gain insight but there is still so much unknown.

So we just blame failure on the weather. LOL

You ask a great question, one I am looking at myself.

Thanks and good job,

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)