AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can apple computers run programs like SMS, Quicken, etc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Doc Holliday
Posted 8/8/2012 20:43 (#2528986 - in reply to #2528436)
Subject: Re: Can apple computers run programs like SMS, Quicken, etc.

Crawford County, Ohio
1. I'm willing to bet that most of the windows applications you are wanting to run will still run on XP. There are numerous XP packages "out there" that can be downloaded for free. Many of which, a bunch of the crap and bloat having been removed and actually are pretty lightweight yet still does the job. Download one of these and run Parallels or Fusion and you will not need to "switch" between Mac and Windows. Just be sure when setting the virtual machine up to disallow Windows access to the network. If it is required, you will need to run antivirus with it. Or not. One of the advantages of using a VM solution is Windows is installed in its own folder within Mac OS. If you get a virus in the Windows install it is very easy to go in, remove any critical data you need to save, and drag that folder to the trash bin and reinstall. Problem solved.

2. Apple requires much of the hardware they purchase from 3rd party vendors to assemble their machines with to meet more stringent specifications than most of the black box companies. The capabilities of such hardware will not exceed that available elsewhere, but the quality will. You will pay for it, but typically have fewer problems. Macs are not immune though as are anything mechanical or electronic.

3. About that higher price point... There are very very few users who switch to Mac that end up regretting the decision. Very few. I believe if you decide to do it, you will eventually realize why the higher price point is worth every penny.

4. I have read on here that you use a 4S iPhone. I believe you will be VERY impressed with the cohesion between that device and your new Mac running Mountain Lion. ML was recently released and they made major strides in making the desktop OS work even more seamless with iOS through iCloud. It is really impressive to have a Numbers spreadsheet open on both devices, make a change to it on the iPhone, and see the change magically appear within 60 seconds on the Mac with no interaction whatsoever by the user. Really impressive indeed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)