AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7.3 nonturbo power stroke
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/1/2012 14:04 (#2409293 - in reply to #2408704)
Subject: Re: 7.3 nonturbo power stroke

Faunsdale, AL
Got a 90 7.3 still running here and a 6.9 out in the weeds that we'll junk at the same time as the 7.3.

They like ALL the glow plugs to work. When the glowplug relay doesn't stay on long before it begins cycling on and off, there's usually a couple bad ones and it kills the starting performance. I know some have replaced the relay by a manual pushbutton, but the relay itself has been very reliable, just the glowplugs and sometimes the connectors in the harness when it gets old.

The return lines on all the injectors have a fitting with o-rings on them at the top of each injector. The o-rings or the lines get leaky and the truck looses it's prime when it's sitting overnight. Simple fix, just a bit tedious.

A nice modification is to install an electric pump in-line before the fuel filter. Helps when changing filters when away from home and with the loss of prime problem above.

The fuel pickup in the tanks has fallen apart on ours so it will run out at something less than 1/2 tank. Electric pump and a can of WD40 that sprays a good fog will help get it primed back up!

Another problem area that's easily fixed is to install a serpentine belt idler on the "slack" side of the alternator belt. Takes a different belt, but you'll have very much better life out of the belt because the idler cuts the "whip" out completely. Have had more trouble with that belt on that engine than any other belt on any other engine I can ever remember BY FAR. Finally looked up where to put an idler or go to serpentine belt and pulleys. The idler is much easier and very effective. I can get pictures if you want.

Good, cheap to maintain and operate engines.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)