AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picture size
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> FAQ & SupportMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 5/7/2012 09:26 (#2372923 - in reply to #2372182)
Subject: RE: Picture size

West Union, Illinois

Peter,

The quick answer is something like Photobucket.com or any of several others.  But I suspect while accurate it doesn't answer your real need.

It's like anything else involving posting photos.  The first few times it is the most confusing illogical thing you ever did.  Once it "clicks in your head" it is so easy you don't even think about it.  There are two ways to post a photo. You can upload it or link it.  I do both.

Let's say I want to post a photo of an old tractor I just bought.  I plug my phone into my computer, get to where the photos are stored (and THAT can be a joke depending on the phone)  I find it, but when I scroll over it the info says it is 579 KB.  That is too big.  The most you can upload is around 125 (there's an exact number on here someplace, but that is close enough for this)

There are various ways of making the photo smaller.  The easiest is an image resizer.  That is a little bitty program that lets you do it quickly and easily.  You can do a search for image resizer, but a couple that seem to work well are at http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/30247 and http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm I am not saying these are best, just that some folks seem to like them.  There are several others. Here is a quick tutorial I stumbled across http://www.connectedphotographer.com/issues/issue200506/00001577001.html

OK, so I have an image resizer in my computer.  I go to the photo, right click it, and tell it what size I want.  The resizer I use give me a size, and I click small.  It creates a new image with (small) added to the name. It ought to be under 100kb.  You can sneak by a little larger, but under 100 works better.  Now it is simple. Get done, scroll to the bottom and click the box to attach a file (<100Kb) and click submit.  Another box is going to show up wanting to know where it is at?   Click browse and find it in your computer

Side note:  I have a photographs folder on my C drive that I copy all my photos to.  There is a 1st look folder everythng is copied to.   I have other folders for subjects.  Family, with subfolders with names like David, Adam, etc.  Farm with subfolders like 1770 planter, 2012 Spring, 2009 Fall, on and on.  The idea is have a place where everything is so you can go back and find them by date (1st look), and a different place where you can find a subject.  It takes a little work and (Ugh) discipline, but it make it tons easier to find things.

When you find the resized photo click open in the lower right corner.  It will put the address in the box and then click submit.  Experience has taught me if you don't click the stupid submit button it just sets and looks at you. And when you figure it out you feel stupid.  Once the photo is uploaded you can add more or tell it you are done.  Your photo is now added to the bottom of your post like this one.

Let's say I want to put a photo in the middle of the post, or use one stored someplace i access online.  That is a link.  To link a photo I click the photo button on the tool bar

Let me stop right there for a minute.  I had an issue one time with a computer that would not show me that tool bar.  We never did figure it out.  It would not show the toolbar with the photo button (looks like a tree).  So if you don't see that button with a tree on it we need to talk some more.

So click the tree button, a box opens up and wants a URL for the photo I enter the address, click insert, and it works

And you are going "DO WHAT?"  ADD A URL? The URL is the address for the photo.  For instance the photo above was on my farm blog (http://bumpusfarms.blogspot.com/2012/05/went-for-walk-in-woods.html) I  opened it in a new tab, scrolled down and right clicked the photo.  I chose to copy the image location, came back to the box, put my cursor in the right place and touched Ctrl and V at the same time and it pasted the address in the box.  I could have right clicked and pasted to, but I'm old school, I like a keyboard shortcut for some things.  Things work really simply if you learn how to use tabs. My wife has a mental block about that, you can only open one thing at a time.  I never will be able to teach her to do this.  I don't have time to explain it all now, so if I have lost you just say so and we'll pick that up later

Have I lost you or helped out?  I have to go meet a truck in a few minutes.  I'll try and check back later.

(IMG10928 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG10928 (Small).jpg (44KB - 542 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)