AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bull questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DRYLAND
Posted 5/2/2012 01:00 (#2364738 - in reply to #2363738)
Subject: RE: bull questions

Northern NE Panhandle
Sheep Herder - 5/1/2012 12:56

And from my experences 25 years ago, "good" and "hereford" should never be used in the same sentence.

You were right years ago but the breed went through a "blood letting" that more or less culled the major problems out of the breed. Take a look at the cattle that Holdens, Van Newkirks and others are breeding and check their avg's, between 9 and 10 thousand on 100 bulls or more. I do not run herf bulls because they are to expensive for the good one and they don't fit my programs of selling calves in the fall, Herfs finish slower and thats why most of the good herf bull sales only sell two's. Nothing wrong with good hereford cattle at all, but unless you are selling bulls and making good money at it I still don't understand why anyone would raise a straight one. I could not count one one hand the number of old ranches around here that have refused to put an angus bull on their hereford cows and have lost everything they worked for. The hereford breed is thriving and here to stay and it's in a crossbreeding world.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)