AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Airforce yield results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JRthefarmer
Posted 4/28/2012 21:21 (#2358593 - in reply to #2358042)
Subject: Re: Airforce yield results

SESD
Second year with the set-up. Agree with most of what was said. If an auto adjusting DP isn't good enough, how are you going to do it better manually by adjusting the springs or bags. There is alot of variability in fields. Just yesterday I was running in NT and had lightly field cultivated some rough spots and ran into an area where a tree belt was removed 2 yrs ago and had it chiseled and field cultivated. Do that without something like the air force. Even in straight NT, there can be over 100lbs difference between load sensors quite often. Also, the DP can range a couple hundred lbs just from low soft areas to high dry areas. I agree I'd rather have it heavy than too light. I run on heavy and am happy enough with it there. Any lighter, and you run the risk of not having the seed deep enough because of the variability. Used to run HD springs on 300, but at times I have been over 350lbs with AF, not to mention all the times it could have been much lighter. Also, would like to have a sensor on every row, but only have 3 on a 12 row right now. Doing a better job putting seed in the ground will always pay you money. Do I have a $$ amount I feel I am gaining per acre by all the different improvements I make to seeding machines? No. If I can afford the improvement, I know I am doing a better job and sooner or later it will pay back. Lot more than I can say for alot of the other things on the farm.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)