AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you guys hold grain for long periods?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 9/22/2007 19:49 (#207784 - in reply to #207728)
Subject: Re: How do you guys hold grain for long periods?

Lapel, In
First treat the bin walls for insects after washing the walls down with a power washer.Dry the grain down.I never go below 15% on corn,13% on beans.Level the bin and seal the fan and DO NOT run the fan after getting the grain as cold as you can get it, no matter what anyone tells you,leave the fan off.I like to catch a week of zero weather and run the fan then.

Then wait to take a 9 month CCC loan on the grain so the loan will mature on September 30. That vwill give you a little extra flexability in when to market the grain. Paid big this year to have had the option of selling in September.If a processer is going to run short,it will be right before the new harvest begins and they don't like the thought of shutting down their plants.Just got a feeling this strategy will work even better next summer.You got to remember, I am like that old bull that wanted to walk down that hill and climb the fence.

One of the Universities in Oklahoma came up with this storage plan of sealing the bin years ago.It stops the chimney effect which hatches the insect eggs. A neighbor kept corn in great shape for 3 years following this procedure.If you just gotta do something, hang a (small)burlap sack full of moth balls in the center fill hole.

Edited by msb 9/22/2007 20:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)