AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$12.00 Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ScottPA
Posted 9/24/2007 20:06 (#208877 - in reply to #208803)
Subject: RE: Just how do you figure cost of production?

Jersey Shore, PA
Tim,
I have to disagree somewhat with your cost of production view. I have a pretty good idea of my costs year to year and a general idea based on the weather, field history, scouting, etc. of what I have in the field for bushels. That gives me a starting point for my marketing. Am I going to make $$ at $3 corn, $4 corn, $6 soybeans, $8 soybeans..............whatever. Thats where I know I can at least start to think about selling some crop.

I will agree that its very hard sometimes to pinpoint what's in the field. It is certainly not an exact science...........just look at how far off usda can be when estimating the crop annually. Our corn crop around here this year is going to be the one thats hard to judge. I sold some forward contracts and would have done more but wasnt sure that the bushels were going to be there. I do know however that the prices I have on those contracts will be above my cost of production on those bushels.

I see your point with not knowing what to divide by until after harvest, but can't see where costs have absolutely nothing to do with marketing.

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)