AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straight Grain Truck Pulling Combine Trailer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jalopy
Posted 12/27/2011 23:14 (#2128022 - in reply to #2127693)
Subject: RE: Straight Grain Truck Pulling Combine Trailer

NC IA
I'm not trying to discourage you but you are talking some relatively big $$. But you could cut the cost way down if your good with a welder and fabricating. Also there should be more and more good used pintle hitch combine trailers coming on the market as guys upgrade combines, cause the old trailers won't scale out any more than a 2388 unless some major revamping/lengthening/positioning combine forward of the trailer tandems is done. Also more and more guys are going to semis/ 5th wheel trailers.

I have made the western harvest run for 5 years now with a 91 t-800 w a 290 L10. I don't set any speed records but it gets the job done. Been looking ever since I bought my truck for something with a big engine and can't ever seem to find what I want. Seems like to get everything you want in a tandem straight truck, you pretty much have to build/put one together.

Also make sure whatever you get/build has 22.5 rubber and budd wheels. Don't waste your time/money/safety with anything less.

About your horsepower situation, if you stay relatively local you could get away with smaller horsepower. On the other hand, I don't know your traffic situation, if you are dealing with lots of traffic, a long line of traffic behind you trying to pass cause your doing 35mph isn't safe either.

Also consider unload/load time. Make sure your trailer is built so you can basically combat load/unload. No screwing around with blocks, unsafe ramps, letting air out of tires, etc. Mine is as fast of a loading/unloading trailer as you can get, and my threshhold for hauling is about 50-60 miles. If its that distance or less I just road the machine. After you load/unload, windshield tarp, fold extensions down, chain down, its 110 degrees out, and you drive 40 miles, unload, no matter how good of a trailer you have, believe me you will just road it next time LOL

Good luck in your endeavors

Edited by jalopy 12/28/2011 00:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)