AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Sampling Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Up Nort
Posted 11/15/2011 08:56 (#2050843 - in reply to #2049607)
Subject: RE: Soil Sampling Question

Here is one way that I was thinking of doing it. We have big rectangular fields, so a rectangular grid works well for us.

Layout a pair of guidance lines at 90 degrees to each other. For example, at the SW corner of the field, set Field 1 A, HDG 0 degrees also set Field 2 A, HDG 90 degrees. For both set the track spacing at 100 feet.

Figure out where you want your samples pulled. A 4 digit number will describe the intersection of a NS track and an EW track. Sample 0503 would be 500 feet from the west edge, 3 hundred feet from the south edge. When you pull your samples, drive the NS track. When you think you are close to the right place, switch to field 2 and watch for the error track to zero out. Stop when you are on the mark.

If you are have a couple monitors and an extra globe, use one to follow the NS and the other to follow the EW. Sample 0503 would be track 5 on the NS tracks, and track 3 on the EW.

The grid does not have to be 100' x 100', use whatever numbers work for you. I have used 10 foot grids when I was flagging the edges of 40s and quarter lines out in the woods. The quarter line is track 264. The 40 lines are track 132 and 396.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)